Sunday, January 27, 2008

No Djoking Around....

.....was the personal message on my MSN nick after a tremendous mens finals at the Australian Open in Melbourne Park.

And after a huge blogging draught on my part, it actually inspired me to blog again!
Yes!! About tennis and my first time watching the Grand Slam tournament of Asia, the AO. Me, a tennis noob. Lol. A noob who is, currently, very much a fan, and to be more precise, very much a fan of THIS 20-yr-old:


Novak Djokovic. Fondly known as the 'Djoker', for his ability to mimic his fellow tennis players so brilliantly off court. He is absolutely hilarious! (Owed that trivia to Kel who is now my tennis guru hehe)

After watching Djokovic defeat Roger 'The King' Federer in straight sets at the semis on Friday, I became very much a fan of this Serbian youngster. Not only were his serves pin-point brilliant, he managed to remain fairly cool and worked the angles brilliantly, and in the end many of his aces did save him quite a bit.

But the finals was just hands-down brilliant beyond words, inevitably. I was aware before I watched it that it would be a tough match between the two. Unseeded as he was when he pranced on to Melbourne Park, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is currenly ranked 18th in the world, but nothing in his drive, his pace and his strength at the tournament ever failed to indicate that he wasn't worthy to be on that stage.

Due to his uncanny resemblance to wrestling legend Muhammad Ali, they wrote this about him in Melbourne after he stunned Nadal:

"Volleys like a butterfly, aces like a bee"

(In comparison to Ali's 'Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee')

After a much gruelling 2 and a half odd hours, during which there were countless nerve-wracking moments where I marvelled at Tsonga's crisp drop shots, his massive aces and the moments that Novak constantly misplaced his shots (well in the beginning anyway), it was a much deserved win (in my opinion).

Coming down from one set down to win the other two sets, the last of which was a heart-stopping tie break, Djokovic was THE MAN :) And although he probably wasn't the favoured player to win this tournament, he clearly deserved to win. And I'm glad I witnessed every moment of it, because it wasn't a touch on the Sharapova-Ivanovic match the day before.

Who says boredom does weird things to people? Haha.

Mine led me to discover a whole new Grand Slam experience and The Djoker :)

No comments: