Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Hello, Cardiology F1 speaking

Because that is all I say these days when I get bleeped left, right and centre to prescribe this person Clopidogrel, rewrite that person's drug chart or please come and review Mr. X who is suddenly complaining of chest pain. 

And each day, it is almost amusing when my fellow F1 and I are notified of yet another new admission into CCU, and upon asking the question "What's the story with this new patient?", it seems our telepathy skills have improved drastically because I could almost put my money on it being Chest Pain. Or Shortness of breath. Or a collapse. 

When I was a Final Year doing my Medicine and Surgery placements where I was shadowing the F1, I was positive that I wouldn't have any trouble adapting to the job the following year, simply because much of the feedback I received revolved around me being 'really efficient' or 'too useful to discard' on the wards. Yes, my knowledge was hardly there. But I didn't like wasting time and I liked making sure that everything was sorted before I called it a day. 

Now that I am a junior doctor in Cardiology for real, it seems that I had imagined myself to be better than I really was. It took me a while to grasp the Trust's IT system, almost making the then F1 whom I was shadowing frown many a time in exasperation when I asked one stupid question after another. When I finally got my mind around that, the number of errors I came up with was astounding. I would cringe each time a weird look came across the Registrar's face when I had to explain yet again why the angio images from Salisbury had not yet arrived, or the look of astonishment on the Consultant's face when I could correctly give an answer to "What are the signs of Pericardial effusion?", as though it was amazing that I actually knew something. 

So my knowledge as a doctor remains close to obsolete. And I apparently am not as 'valuable' on the wards as I had imagined myself to be. The Registrar is always one step ahead and it seems I still lack the initiative to have everything perfectly in order at each start of the day. 

Today I told my Consultant that I wanted to be a Cardiologist. Fortunately for me, he was as encouraging as one could be. Whether or not it is a feasible achievement, that is a matter for the near future, but for the moment, I have this to work towards. 

Don't get me wrong, I might be dense. And my medical knowledge might be 1/100th of a Cardiology SpR's, but I enjoy my job. I enjoy the adrenaline it brings each day from rushing around chasing stuff in between having to clerk in Primary PCI's from Cath Lab. It gives me a sense of fulfillment when I know my patients so well that I can give an accurate summary without having to refer to the clerking proforma. And it makes me proud when I manage to successfully beg the Physiologist to squeeze in an echo for my patient who is hanging on a very thin thread of patience because she has been waiting for days just to have an echo. 

I love the fact that working hard everyday helps me take my mind off everything else and that I don't even have time to be bored or exasperated with my life, or rather a lack of it. It helps me take my mind off my homesickness, how much I miss my friends and the life we had in London as med students, of how much I have suffered one blow after another to my heart in recent times, and the uncertainty of my future. Without work, it seems I feel almost empty and at the verge of withdrawal symptoms. Knowing me, it is just like me to get hooked on something else to get my mind off the issues at present. 

And at the moment, I am determined to get myself hooked on the job. 

Who knows, as far as Cardiology as career is concerned, this could be as good as it gets. 

So here's to hopefully making the most out of my 4 month Cardiology stint and stepping up to the job. They are big to fill, these boots. But I never say never. 

Vamos Shing! 

No comments: