Saturday, July 25, 2015

MRCP-ed

It seems like just yesterday that it was July 2012 and I had just graduated from Med School, having earned the letters MBBS (London) behind my name after much effort slaving through the years. 

At that point, I had been ecstatic to take a whole year off sitting for exams in F1 and just slacking / being a glorified ward clerk (whatever rocks your boat) without having to use my brain much. 

But those slacker days appeared short-lived because before I knew it, June was here and I was signing my life away to sit for MRCP Part 1. So much for not giving a crap about post-graduate exams. In the end, the pressure from my Consultant Cardiologist trumped everything. 

I still recall passing Part 1 and jumping up and down while doing Surgical On Call, much to the amusement of my Cardiology Registrar who was completely unimpressed and said I had been over-dramatic for nothing when I said I had screwed it up after sitting it. And then Part 2 came and went. And before I knew it, I was signing my life away for PACES. 

The journey through PACES was horrendous. There were many days of people staring at me in disgust like I was the most stupid thing on earth for giving such an answer. Of reading my notes over and over again and reciting presentations in my room. Of staying back till 8 pm to practise examining patients in the hospital. Of wanting to pull my hair out because I never though I could imagine myself passing this exam. Ever. 


And the joy I felt when I received this letter was beyond description. 

Fair enough, as with most things, the euphoria faded pretty quickly and within 1 week my excitement at passing these membership exams had almost completely gone. I was one step closer to hopefully achieving that Cardiology dream, but there were still many many obstacles to go. 

But for now, I was grateful. Grateful for having flown all the way to London and passing these membership exams in my alma mater where I had passed my undergraduate exams. Grateful for everyone who helped me along the way. And grateful for the royal college for making my year such a memorable one! 

And I'm more than happy to be MBBS(London), MRCP(UK)

Now to be a Cardio God...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Create a sleek silhouette for your workday with Charter Club's petite heathered pull-on pants, featuring a tummy control panel for a slimming fit by bodycon dresses for juniors