Thursday, April 19, 2007

And even after Columbine....

I thought that the 1999 Columbine massacre was the worst any school shooting would get.

Then Virginia Tech happened....and the world was aghast....me included.

When I first heard the news, I was sceptical about its scale of seriousness, especially since it had never crossed my mind that someone in my family would actually be facing a gunman for real one day.

But when the death toll of 33 stared me in the face, I can only say I was thankful. It must have been traumatising, no doubt about that. I know I was, even in a different continent, having only read the news hours after it occurred.

I can only vent my disapointment and sorrow for the gunman. How a kid of Asian descent, nonetheless, could possibly be so disturbed and screwed up sends chills down my back, especially after watching his manifesto on video.

It's incredulous what can happen in a split second today.

As for those involved in the V Tech massacre....I feel for them.

This made me think vaguely of the episode in Greys when Alex and Addison discovered that their patient was a Jane Doe.

"I mean, she's all alone. Makes me wonder, if I went missing, would anyone notice?"

May Virginia Tech finally rest in peace...

No comments: