Sunday, March 21, 2010

People Change, Places Stay The Same




My laments to JH about how quickly time just zoomed by were completely genuine. Indeed, it had seemed like just a while ago that we had watched the first leg of Liverpool vs Man Utd for this season. Who would have thought that that was all the way back in October.

How much had changed since then?

Liverpool had gotten progressively worse, to the point of possibly no return. From Champions League title contenders to the Europa League.

The dreary English weather had turned from its unbearable frostiness to sunny, bright skies and more amicable temperatures (bar yesterday's rain).

The company with which we watched the first match had been modified drastically as well. How ironic was it that at the end of the day, it was only JH and I who remained the constants in this silent film of scenes changing through time.

I told JH I refused to visit the same 'GG.COM' bar that we had watched the first leg in, for reasons that were blatantly obvious, to me and him. I didn't want to be reminded of a time of transient happiness, only to be in the same environment and realise the brutal reality of the present.

So we rewrote memories. And these will be around to stay for a very long time.

Even though Liverpool played horrendously and offered no real threat at all after Torres's goal at the 5th minute. Even though the final score justified defeat compared to the first leg's triumphant victory of 2-0. Even though the only possible real entertainment of the entire match was watching JH squeal with excitement about Park Ji Sung and letting him 'educate' me about how superior Man Utd was to Liverpool. Even though my good luck vibes did not work at all this time around. Even though I had not followed football in so long that my knowledge had deteriorated beyond mention....

I would say that this time I was able to leave the place with a genuine smile.

And remember that Man Utd vs Liverpool will always be associated with only the best memories ever, even if they are not in Liverpool's best interest.

I think we have definitely come full circle. Period.

No comments: