Sunday, January 16, 2011

Ballet Shoes


When I was a little girl, I had great dreams of becoming a Prima Ballerina. I would pore over ballet books, read about any fictional ballet dancers in novels and imagine myself gliding across the stage one day in those pointe shoes and a white flowing tutu.

I would try and convince myself that I was poised, and graceful, and possibly had the ability to execute those long, flowing lines that I was so in awe of. I would try and make sure I sat up properly, back straight, and tried hard in ballet class to impress.

Unfortunately all that did not last very long. I discovered ballet was an art that appeared a lot more difficult than in had in my mind, and I had no patience nor the talent to become a shadow of a ballerina.

I grew up and I became more and more of a clumsy tomboy each year, with no etiquette or grace whatsoever. I slouched, I hunched, I suddenly found myself more immersed in the Hip Hop culture, forgetting my much enriched initial knowledge of Coppelia and Odette in Swan Lake and The Nutcracker Ballet....and most of all: my childhood dream to dance Giselle.

The 9-year-old me never realised how dark and twisty Giselle was back then. All I was interested in was the costume that the lead ballerina wore.

More than a decade later, I am soon achieving my Giselle dream - not to dance the role but to watch the Royal Ballet Company's interpretation of this romantic ballet.

Perhaps a part of my 9-year-old self had predicted that I would become fairly dark and twisty with my dapple with guys, all these years on. Lol.

But no, just so you know, I am not enough of a Drama Queen to kill myself over men who have deceived me. And similary I would never haunt them in that way. I am nice like that, you see :)

No comments: