Thursday, July 02, 2009

Game, Set, Match

So after a whole term of being insanely busy mugging for finals and after that packing, AND missing out on the Roland Garros, I finally started watching tennis properly again yesterday.


And what else, but the Grand Slam everyone covets after the most: Wimbledon.

I'd put off watching matches properly up till yesterday (well the day before actually, when I saw Safina book a place in the semis) because I really DON'T like watching the ladies play (sorry Jenn haha) and like Woogui mentioned, the only one who does not look like a monster is Sharapova anyway, and she was chucked out pretty early. So I'd waited up till the Mens Quarter Finals to start following the tournament conscientiously.

The Federer Express certainly didn't disappoint, yet again. His was the first amongst the Mens Quarter Final matches, and he was the first to go through to the Semis....his 21st Semi-Final to be precise, and he certainly did it with style. Watching Federer defeat Karlovic in straight-set wins certainly brought back memories of my squash tournaments last year, and the year before that.

I know for a fact that I don't possess much in skills as a squash player besides the fact that I have a, as Chui Munn puts it, 'killer serve'. And that certainly was the case for Karlovic. The stats at the beginning of the match proved rather scary, when they announced the number of aces Karlovic had achieved so far this Wimbledon, and yet apart from the massive serve, he proved no match for Federer, who seemed to take it all in stride as though it was a warm-up to the real deal.

That just goes to show that a top-class player is comprised of so much more than just serving 137 mph, or lunging around the court with insane stamina (ahemahem). I've always said time and time again that tennis is a gentleman's game, and no one except Federer could fit the picture better. His composure is amazing, and no one could possibly realise how much effort it takes to remain THIS calm all the time.

I also caught a major portion of the Ferrero-Murray game, and it was clear from the start who was going to emerge the victor. Murray's game (apparently) has improved tremendously this Wimbledon, although to be honest I've never really watched him play, but I'm sure a good many British citizens are rooting for a Brit to claim the Wimbledon crown, simply because it is an English tournament. As for me, I never really did like his hot-headedness. Bias, I know. But what the hell. Hahaha.

With my poor Djoker out of the tournament (SOBS HMPH *throws withering glare at Haas*), I am now unbiased and ready to support whoever is the deserved champion of this Wimbledon. May the best man win. I've been praising Fed so much this entire entry that it sounds like I am a Federer fan. Pffttt I am, first and foremost, a Djokovic fan, but he's been soooo inconsistent lately that I have no choice but to find a new person to root for this remaining tournament. Haha

Ahhh.....what can I say, I've always thought that Federer was in a class of his own (with Nadal safely out of sight this time), and even if I may not be a Number 1 Federer fan, I still say, Federer BETTER reclaim his crown!


Definitely looking forward to more Centre Court action.

No comments: