Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Summer Stylings


With the horrible heat that I was suffering from in Kch the past few days, it only seemed appropriate to browse through the fashion sites I read and check out the must-haves of this season.

I skipped the swimsuit section because I have no interest in bikinis nor have a set of washboard abs for it, but one thing I couldn't help noticing on many an entry was the hype about city shorts / chic shorts / tailored shorts... whichever suits your taste.

I am a HUGE fan of city shorts - in case anyone hasn't noticed. I love the versatility of the few pairs I own, be it dressing them down for a (hot and humid) day out around the city or glamming them up with accessories and heels for a more dressy occasion. There's really nothing a pair of stilettos and a chunky cuff can't do ;)

One of the celebs whom I've seen pull this style off immaculately is Lauren Conrad. Some people might argue if she can even be considered a celeb. Haha. Well, I have watched a couple of episodes of 'The Hills' on MTV (guilty as charged) but I have yet to find something LC wears that I do not agree with. She experiments with all looks, and I love the classiness of her outfits with that little bit of funk so it doesn't look TOO dreary at all times.


Another of Lauren's signature looks is the subtle way she wears a braid, which to me is the most flattering way of pulling off a braid by far.....which brings me around to the topic of another increasingly popular summer look: The Braid.

I would definitely go with the way Lauren does hers: by braiding a small portion of the fringe and pulling it back with a barette or a clip. If you have bangs, you can always improvise with braiding one of the choppier / shorter layers of your hair. No worries about the choppier bits of your hair sticking out, you can always get rid of them with some pins in place.

I've realised that the older I grow, the less inclined I have become towards strappy or strapless stuff that show a little too much skin for anyone's comfort, necklines that just ask for trouble or micro mini skirts that just make it inconvenient for sitting, walking and well basically everything. Maybe this is part of growing up and becoming a mature adult, who knows. Maybe it's just that my body is becoming less athletic, hence less feasible to show off (gasp!!! hell no!! hahaha), maybe I'm just becoming more adventurous and more willing to experiment with different looks.

As much as I am interested in trends, however, I'm definitely not one to go for the Boho look, but sometimes a little touch of something interesting can add that fine line between looking classy and poised AND looking just old and boring (because sometimes it CAN be very fine indeed). Let's face it, nobody wants to look too dowdy TOO soon, not especially when they're just in their twenties, hey? ;)

No comments: