Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Self Esteem vs Good Grooming

After watching 'Penelope' on HBO a couple of nights ago (starring Christina Ricci and James McAvoy), the thought that struck me after the credits rolled - apart from the fact that James McAvoy looked surprisingly good in 2006 with the thinner physique and shaggier hair - was how poorly we value self esteem these days. I started evaluating myself and the people around me. How many of us actually loved ourselves for who we are, would change nothing about ourselves if given the chance, and were happy with things just as they were?

Inevitably, the grass is always greener on the other side. And I would never volunteer myself to be one of those who have a towering self esteem and a personality that is larger than life. But I have always maintained that one should never bother too much about the whisperings that go around behind our backs (or in our faces??).
We are all gossips, in one way or another. And even if one person had a squeaky clean slate that bore no tarnishes, so to speak, it would only be a matter of time before someone else dug up some dirty piece of news about him / her, or even better, makes something up and spreads it around like wildfire.

Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.

Yay or nay?

Sidetracking from this a little, as this wasn't exactly my main focus of topic in this entry....like I said, I wouldn't say that I have the innate ability to make everyone gape in awe at my self confidence, nor make half the room turn their gazes towards me as I glide into a room. But I do not equate my interest in dressing up, and presenting myself in a poised manner, with a low self esteem and a desire to 'go with the flow'.

I strongly do not agree that putting on make up, brushing one's hair neatly so it looks presentable, putting on perfume, or dressing up nicely, are merely excuses to cover up a low self esteem. Self conscious, yes....maybe. But I would equate all of the above, not with a low self esteem, but with a good habit of making sure one is groomed to the best at all times.

Self Esteem and Good Grooming. Such a fine yet distinct line. It amazes me how people can actually confuse one with the other.

I find no qualms with my hobby of experimenting with makeup.
I offer no apologies for making sure my hair does not hang in greasy streaks when I go out.
Neither should I feel sorry for the fact that I dress well simply because I cannot stand women who make not attempt to watch their demeanour or personal hygiene when in public.

Of course, it is not all about the fashion and the labels that makes a person 'well-groomed' either. One Gucci bag alone cannot change who that person really is. We could venture on to another topic on that alone....that there is such a fine line between being regal AND being snobbish, but we'll go there some other time.

Truth be told, I haven't been venturing much out of my spaghetti straps, shorts / tights and flowy dresses all summer, but you'll have to step over my dead body before you catch me looking all grungy and dishevelled in public.

And that...is self esteem for you ;)

No comments: